Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Kellogg vs. Wharton

Came back from a 10 day trip to Chicago. Was there to attend the Day at Kellogg (DAK) event. The DAK was a fun. Met really interesting people. I am amazed at how much effort students put in organizing this event. Since I am deciding between Kellogg and Wharton, this was my due diligence trip. Few points that stood out
- Kellogg culture is definitely casual, friendly and down-to-earth
- Students play a big role in running the school
- The school's strength is clearly in Marketing. Second could be general management.
- The school has a pretty good focus on entrepreneurship (to my surprise).
- The school is trying to better its focus in finance.
- As compared to Wharton, Kellogg has less international students. A lot of the students I met were from Chicago/mid-west.
- Kellogg definitely makes an effort to not to be very quantitative in its approach to business education. During DAK, we had a mini-class on statistics and the professor teaching the course said that he tries to avoid using equations as much as possible. He is apparently one the most popular professors. Statistics without equations - hmm - something hard to digest for me. So Kellogg lives up to its reputation of being a non-quant school.
- Placement scene seems to be good - Mckinsey made some 55 offers (10% of the class) last year. Most of the reputed companies in consulting, finance, banking were well represented.

I definitly came back impressed. However, not enough to swing my decision in Kellogg's favor. I am eagerly waiting to attend the Wharton welcome weekend.

No comments: