Monday, August 04, 2008

The decision between Exec. MBA vs. Full-time MBA: Part 1

This is a critical decision point for people with significant work experience. I was in a similar situation when I was applying for an MBA program. Having recently completed a full-time MBA program from Wharton and I thought I should revisit the topic to see if I could help others who are tackling the same issue using the benefit of hindsight. Please note I am not comparing Part-time MBA to full-time MBA. I am refraining from commenting on part-time MBA as I don't have enough reference points to make a good call on that issue (Wharton does not offer part-time MBA program).

Here are the top concerns for somebody who is trying to make such a decision:

Career Change:
If you are looking for a significant career change - into a different industry/role - than full-time MBA has been touted as the best choice for sometime now. However, my experience tells me that quite a few Wharton Exec MBAs successfully transitioned into very different careers - this is especially true if the economy is doing well. I feel that as an Exec. MBA if you are 100% committed to a career change, you will standout from the rest of the Exec MBA crowd (who are usually not that committed) thereby increasing your chances of success in making the transition. Compare that against your full-time MBA peers - almost 100% of who are looking for a career change. Also don't forget that two years of no-work/no-pay will financially constrain you and restrict some of the career options you might want to pursue post Full-time MBA.

Quality of Education:
Well I do not believe there is a material difference between the quality of education between Exec MBA and full-time MBA. Even if there is - you will soon realize that whatever you were taught at B-school was all crap anyway - so how does that matter! Really, tell me how much of your undergraduate education was immediately relevant to your first few jobs. The B-school education teaches you some good frameworks to analyze problems and the rest is just details. And you will learn those framework just as good as in full-time as you will in Exec. MBA. So please don't overestimate this aspect. Also, I believe two years of full-time classes is a little excessive- there is just too much time to party! - that leads me to my next point.

Looking for that someone special!
Well, who said that "enhancing career" is the only reason people go for an MBA. However, if you are happily married - (happily is the keyword here) full-time MBA might not have the same appeal for you as for someone who is "single and ready to mingle". I got married during my MBA and I got to see both sides of the story. I can say for sure that the people you socialize with, friends you make and the type of parties you would go out to definitely changes once you get married - (regardless of the social skills of your spouse)! Since most of the potential candidates for Exec MBA are happily married - full-time MBA might not be that appealing from this perspective - and I am not even talking about distractions due to temptations!!

Please look at part 2 for more details..

1 comment:

Vipin said...

Hi Apoorv,

Got a link to your blog from linkedin. Good stuff!

By the way, one big difference in my opinion is that Exec-MBA is localized (a significant number of participants happen to be from the same area). For example, most of the Exec MBA class in Wharton-West is from NYC-Phily-WashDC reagion. You get to network with a pretty diverse set of people in full-time.
And usually your peer group is closer than alumni in your link of networks.

But again, the disadvantages of this fact, are pretty subjective and depend on your goals in terms of geography and career interests.

Wish you the best!
-- Vipin